In our house, we use the microwave oven only for heating leftover dishes, or water for coffee and tea.
Some people swear by microwave cooking, but I've never really felt comfortable with that. I find it too impersonal. I want to see what I'm cooking, I want to smell the aroma wafting out, I want to hear the food sizzle or burble, I want to satisfying action of stirring the soup or the veggies, sprinkling this and that till everything tastes perfect. There's none of that in a microwave oven. You simply pop in your dish, wait for a few seconds and it's done. Like a shortcut.
Maybe microwave cooking isn't so bad. There's a reason why cake-in-a-mug recipes are popular; they're supposed to making baking an easy, no-frills task.
Then there are those times the gas range runs out of gas, and a microwave oven is your only choice for making breakfast. I'll make an exception this time.
So here's what I was able to whip up the other day. A microwaved omelet. It's easy, healthy, and it's served within seconds. Perfect for the on-the-go people. No excuses for missing breakfast anymore.
And the best part is, compared to a skillet, a Pyrex dish is easy to clean up afterwards.
Ingredients Microwaved Omelet
2 Onions, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tomatoes, chopped
1/4 of a head of Cabbage, sliced
Coconut oil, 1 tbsp
Butter, 2 tbsp
1. Grease your Pyrex dish with a bit of coconut oil.
2. Place the onions, garlic, and tomatoes.
2. Pop into the oven for about 45 seconds on medium setting.
3. Meanwhile, in a bowl whisk an egg and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
4. Stir in your wad of butter and top with cabbage slices.
5. Take the Pyrex out of the oven and add the whisked egg.
6. Cook for 1 minute on High setting.
7. You could also periodically pause the oven to stir the omelet for a more even cooking, and to make sure the egg is set.